Laying it down at the Temple

All things outside of Burning Man.
Roark
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am
Burning Since: 2017

Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Roark » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 am

We all have our little personal disasters, but lately I keep thinking "I am SO going to burn this at the Temple". I have even started keeping a list. And it makes me feel wierdly better. WTF? :shock:

Anybody else like this? Or am I just broken that way?

No wonder organized religions are so popular... :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 9479
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 am

I've always thought that was what the temple was for. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28410
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:46 am

I hope someone plays "Freebird".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 am

ygmir wrote:I hope someone plays "Freebird".


8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I love how people replay their doomed attempts at controlling other people, the very issues that drive them to the Temple, as the Temple is burning.

"Sit down! Be quiet!! Respect my feelings!!!"

Pouring all that misery into the flames really seems to work for them.
"You can be whoever you want to be, and sometimes people laugh and sometimes they clap, and mostly and beautifully they don't really care."

User avatar
TT120
Posts: 1450
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby TT120 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 am

I burned a big fattie at the temple. It was a good fattie but it was time to let it go. Made me feel a lot better.... :mrgreen:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby TomServo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:41 am

I divorced my wife at the temple. It felt like a huge weight was lifted.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28410
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
ygmir wrote:I hope someone plays "Freebird".


8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I love how people replay their doomed attempts at controlling other people, the very issues that drive them to the Temple, as the Temple is burning.

"Sit down! Be quiet!! Respect my feelings!!!"

Pouring all that misery into the flames really seems to work for them.


[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 16605
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 am

I tried burning a fattie once. He kept screaming, "what the fuck do you think you're doing? Are you going to finish those fries?"

People around us just wanted us to sit down and be quiet.

I could burn an old ID tag, but its made out of plastic and that wouldn't be rite.

User avatar
Sunbeam56
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 am
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan
Location: Danbury, TX

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Sunbeam56 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I regret that we missed the Temple of Juno. And am looking forward to the next ...
Let GOOD win!

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16811
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm

[media]
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 7061
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Elliot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:...rite.

All right, all right... you don't need to tease me. :lol:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - Noon-6 daily.

------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!------

Website: http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do Awesome. Please step right in.

Image

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Canoe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:06 pm

On Saturday afternoon 2012, tried to get something of my Mother's to temple. It was packed with a drunken party. Packed to the gates. No room to move.
Jar Jar Sith Lord
.
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
.
[i]... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Roark
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Roark » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Ok. Lesson learned. Snark factor 1000%. Failure = mine. :roll: Now accepting nominations for the dumbass award...
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman

User avatar
delle
Posts: 1974
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 am

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby delle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Roark wrote:Now accepting nominations for the dumbass award...


Hopefully fashioned from a flammable material??? :wink:
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 am

delle wrote:
Roark wrote:Now accepting nominations for the dumbass award...


Hopefully fashioned from a flammable material??? :wink:


(((Delle)))

See, Roark, that's it right there. People bring all sorts of things to the Temple. The trick is to let them go, let them burn, and move on.

And there is good advice here from Canoe: go early in the week, if you have anything serious to do at the Temple.
"You can be whoever you want to be, and sometimes people laugh and sometimes they clap, and mostly and beautifully they don't really care."

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28410
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 am

good advice all.
a couple years ago, I went out there, and was "barred" from the upper levels, but a bunch of "suits", huge bodyguard types.
seems someone had "rented" the upper level for a wedding............I was incensed!! WTF? RENTED? well, that was the story, and they were turning everyone around............

anything, is possible out there........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 16605
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:36 am

Ygmir, that's a long ways from right. Who put the okay on that? Or was it simply a matter of "we have more goons than you do"?

Course, a meek, frail fellow like you probably gets pushed around a lot.

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28410
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Ygmir, that's a long ways from right. Who put the okay on that? Or was it simply a matter of "we have more goons than you do"?

Course, a meek, frail fellow like you probably gets pushed around a lot.



yeah, I"m not sure. I asked a few questions. the goons in suits, pretty much (in New Jersey accents) said "sorry it's private and rented, you can come back later.

I heard them tell, many, many people that.
IIRC, they had a limo there, too. I know they rode on some art cars.

and yeah, discretion is the better part of valor.......when there are half a dozen, or more, large goons facing ya, nodding and walking away after questioning can be an option.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16811
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:03 am

were their names frankie, vinny, angelo and tony?



or Boris, Yuri, Vladimir and Mikhail?
"the same thing we do every year, pinky"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:04 am

mafia is mafiya no matter how you spell it.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 15194
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 am

IAM certainly did some unorthodox stuff in the name of fundraising

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28410
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 am

sure looked like a mafia thing. nice suits, very clean, even keeping people away , clearing a path, for the betrothed to exit without delay. You'da thunk they were politicians or something.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:51 am

Ick.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5814
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:10 pm

TomServo wrote:I divorced my wife at the temple. It felt like a huge weight was lifted.


What was that, 3 days? Playa wedding and playa divorce all in the same burn = rad.

:D :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
TomServo wrote:I divorced my wife at the temple. It felt like a huge weight was lifted.


What was that, 3 days? Playa wedding and playa divorce all in the same burn = rad.

:D :lol:


Funny! No were getting divorced this year, then re married. No, Michelle. My real true to government wife. The one who dragged me to Burning Man against my wishes in 1999, then divorced me because I loved it too much. NO OTHER PLAYA MARRIAGES OTHER THAN TG! I've heard some crazy shit in the past year!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
TomServo
Posts: 6160
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:25 pm

ygmir wrote:sure looked like a mafia thing. nice suits, very clean, even keeping people away , clearing a path, for the betrothed to exit without delay. You'da thunk they were politicians or something.

YGMIR! We talked! No Talking got it?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

User avatar
edbrez
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit
Location: Ireland

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby edbrez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Roark wrote:We all have our little personal disasters, but lately I keep thinking "I am SO going to burn this at the Temple". I have even started keeping a list. And it makes me feel wierdly better. WTF? :shock:

Anybody else like this? Or am I just broken that way?

No wonder organized religions are so popular... :mrgreen:


Whatever works for you, if you think it might help you, no harm....
I like the imagery of discarding the burden and watching it burn
Whether anything changes or not for you after, it's nice to personalize the experience :)
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Canoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:...And there is good advice here from Canoe: go early in the week, if you have anything serious to do at the Temple.

Yup.

(Unfortunately for me, my car broke down in Nebraska and I didn't get a loaner until 6:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. Made it to Fernley for 9:30 a.m., gassed up and headed North. Stopped at Empire for a few last minute things, then across the playa to get through gate at 1:40 p.m. on Saturday... Stopped at center camp cafe for something cold, then got a Yellow Bike to tour the playa.)
Jar Jar Sith Lord
.
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
.
[i]... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Roark
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby Roark » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:47 pm

TomServo wrote:
Funny! No were getting divorced this year, then re married. No, Michelle. My real true to government wife. The one who dragged me to Burning Man against my wishes in 1999, then divorced me because I loved it too much. NO OTHER PLAYA MARRIAGES OTHER THAN TG! I've heard some crazy shit in the past year!


FWIW, I can legally marry 'em and bury 'em in 49 states. Let me know if you need drive-thru service. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman

User avatar
9ah
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 am
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters
Contact:

Re: Laying it down at the Temple

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 am

ygmir wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Ygmir, that's a long ways from right. Who put the okay on that? Or was it simply a matter of "we have more goons than you do"?

Course, a meek, frail fellow like you probably gets pushed around a lot.



yeah, I"m not sure. I asked a few questions. the goons in suits, pretty much (in New Jersey accents) said "sorry it's private and rented, you can come back later.

I heard them tell, many, many people that.
IIRC, they had a limo there, too. I know they rode on some art cars.

and yeah, discretion is the better part of valor.......when there are half a dozen, or more, large goons facing ya, nodding and walking away after questioning can be an option.


Sounds like a K--- event at the temple.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?


Return to “Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests