It's all about how you say it.

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
maryanimal
Posts: 4023
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

It's all about how you say it.

Postby maryanimal » Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 pm

I've always found it interesting how people say certain words differently, for instance, worcestershire sauce. Do you say, worsta-sheer, or worsta-sure, or worsta-shy-er...

do people actually say Catsup? That's a head-scratcher isn't it...
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

User avatar
CornMan
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby CornMan » Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm

wor-sha-shire sauce. It's good.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 28493
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby ygmir » Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

war chester shire
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
mgb327
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Somerset, Va.

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby mgb327 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

My frame of reference is kinda strange with words. "So, Momma and Poppa Tomato were walking down the street with baby Tomato waddling along. Baby Tomato could not keep up, and Poppa Tomato turned around, and smashed Baby Tomato flat, squashed him with his foot. Poppa Tomato said to his pulp "Catchup!".
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

User avatar
CornMan
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby CornMan » Tue May 07, 2013 2:37 pm

New Orleans rhymes with Evergreens, or Chuck Berry is a liar.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby tatonka » Tue May 07, 2013 2:38 pm

vitamins .... English cant say it right
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 11925
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Savannah » Tue May 07, 2013 2:40 pm

. . . Worchester-sheister-gloucestershire!

*cough*

Wurst-a-shur.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

User avatar
MikeGyver
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby MikeGyver » Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm

How do you say Vitamins, Tatonka?

and Wurst-a-shire
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 16892
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 pm

i pronounce it like Nipsey Russell does.

"whats this here sauce"
“Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”

– Leonardo da Vinci

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters

burn,burn,burn 2016

User avatar
maryanimal
Posts: 4023
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby maryanimal » Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 pm

CornMan wrote:New Orleans rhymes with Evergreens, or Chuck Berry is a liar.

...or New Or-lans or Nawlins..
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby tatonka » Tue May 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:How do you say Vitamins, Tatonka?

and Wurst-a-shire


English say Vit amins the it sounds like your saying it . I say it like Vi tamins

and worst-a-shur sauce
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5281
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Elorrum » Tue May 07, 2013 4:48 pm

[media]
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.
In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo. - T.S. Elliot

User avatar
maryanimal
Posts: 4023
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby maryanimal » Tue May 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Man-aisse or Mayo-naisse

Coo-pon or que-pon
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

User avatar
TT120
Posts: 1490
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Contact:

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby TT120 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Worst a shire
Nawlins
man aise
Vite a mins
catch up
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

User avatar
MyDearFriend
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE
Location: Washington, DC

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm

ELLLL- orrum or Eeee-LORE-um

Graidawg and I have agreed to disagree on this one. Until she proves me correct. 8)
"You can be whoever you want to be, and sometimes people laugh and sometimes they clap, and mostly and beautifully they don't really care."

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5281
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Elorrum » Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:ELLLL- orrum or Eeee-LORE-um

Graidawg and I have agreed to disagree on this one. Until she proves me correct. 8)

If there's a bidding war, I can change my preference.
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.
In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo. - T.S. Elliot

User avatar
171/348
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby 171/348 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Where I live... They think the word water has two D's in the middle.
Wudder.

User avatar
Sham
Moderator
Posts: 7546
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Sham » Tue May 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Some people think I have a heavy Boston accent. :roll:

User avatar
Bumble
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 am
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: P6 (BDV)
Location: Melbourne -AUSTRALIA

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby Bumble » Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

woo-star-shire or "wooster" by the locals

I remember having an American lecture at uni & he said everything "wrong" (To an Australia - but then we say EVERYTHING wrong to a Brit)
But A-loo-min-um - verse Al-i-min-i-um OR A-my-no acids verses A-me-no-acids

But true story - i went to a Railway station in England that had a town called "Wooton" 5 minutes away from it and asked the English conductor how i'd get to "Woo-Ton" and he had NO IDEA where i was trying to get to - until i spelt it, then he replied "oh, "whit-on"?" !!!!!!

i'd love to study the anthropology of accents & pronunciation - i think a lot of old Aussies sound like they are from the east end of london - cockneys that is

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40294
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 pm

English English, especially proper nouns, have a lot of extra letters. I'd never would have learned how to spell my last name if it were pronounced Chumley.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
International Incident
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby International Incident » Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Bumble wrote:woo-star-shire or "wooster" by the locals

I remember having an American lecture at uni & he said everything "wrong" (To an Australia - but then we say EVERYTHING wrong to a Brit)
But A-loo-min-um - verse Al-i-min-i-um OR A-my-no acids verses A-me-no-acids

But true story - i went to a Railway station in England that had a town called "Wooton" 5 minutes away from it and asked the English conductor how i'd get to "Woo-Ton" and he had NO IDEA where i was trying to get to - until i spelt it, then he replied "oh, "whit-on"?" !!!!!!

i'd love to study the anthropology of accents & pronunciation - i think a lot of old Aussies sound like they are from the east end of london - cockneys that is


Aluminium... I was thinking about that. don't fucking understand how it go to be A-loo-min-um.

User avatar
MikeGyver
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity
Location: San Diego, California
Contact:

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby MikeGyver » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 pm

International Incident wrote:
Bumble wrote:woo-star-shire or "wooster" by the locals

I remember having an American lecture at uni & he said everything "wrong" (To an Australia - but then we say EVERYTHING wrong to a Brit)
But A-loo-min-um - verse Al-i-min-i-um OR A-my-no acids verses A-me-no-acids

But true story - i went to a Railway station in England that had a town called "Wooton" 5 minutes away from it and asked the English conductor how i'd get to "Woo-Ton" and he had NO IDEA where i was trying to get to - until i spelt it, then he replied "oh, "whit-on"?" !!!!!!

i'd love to study the anthropology of accents & pronunciation - i think a lot of old Aussies sound like they are from the east end of london - cockneys that is


Aluminium... I was thinking about that. don't fucking understand how it go to be A-loo-min-um.


There's only so many letters that can be in a word before Americans start skipping them
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby tatonka » Tue May 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I know its silly saying the english cant speak english :)
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

User avatar
International Incident
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby International Incident » Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm

I was once told by an American (well an Alaskan) that my english was very good... He was serious...

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby tatonka » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I cant talk about correct speech or writing cause I have neither . MY mom is German and as a kid we would be over at my grandpa Bents House and everyone spoke german all the time , and at my grandpa Birds house they spoke Cree and some French and English . At home it was English with angry strange words when I would get in trouble. Also at 5 had a cracking your skull open moment when I tripped and bashed my head into one of those old cast iron radiator heaters. Was poor so I got a wet rag to put on my head to stop the bleeding. Still by the 3rd grade was hard to function , day dreamed alot. My teacher said to my mom there is one word to describe your son "Duhhhhhh"
I snapped out of it around 4th or 5th , was real good at basic math but barley passed any english classes .
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby knowmad » Tue May 07, 2013 10:09 pm

my Experience with this is With Latin and German. After living in Germany for many years I really began to understand the English language and all of its contradictory quirks. And latter while learning Latin and it's application to taxonomy I began to learn German all over again.
to sum it all up; you say potato, she says potatoe, he says Kartoffle and I say earth pear.
proper pronunciation is; Mc Fries™
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
tatonka
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe
Location: oregon

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby tatonka » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

knowmad wrote:my Experience with this is With Latin and German. After living in Germany for many years I really began to understand the English language and all of its contradictory quirks. And latter while learning Latin and it's application to taxonomy I began to learn German all over again.
to sum it all up; you say potato, she says potatoe, he says Kartoffle and I say earth pear. proper pronunciation is Mc Fries™


McFries I can understand :)
“Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica.” - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby knowmad » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

tatonka wrote:
knowmad wrote:my Experience with this is With Latin and German. After living in Germany for many years I really began to understand the English language and all of its contradictory quirks. And latter while learning Latin and it's application to taxonomy I began to learn German all over again.
to sum it all up; you say potato, she says potatoe, he says Kartoffle and I say earth pear. proper pronunciation is Mc Fries™


McFries I can understand :)

Danke!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby lemur » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm

shedjule

onvellope

coop-on

warchester sauce

ESPLANADE

rhymes with:

Image
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
knowmad
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:33 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB
Location: Puget Sound

Re: It's all about how you say it.

Postby knowmad » Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm

noooo. rhymes with hand grenade.
Spa-get-he or spag-et-ee?
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri


Return to “Open Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest