I am adding my 10 cents to this overall topic.
1) See what camps are associated with your area- I have 4-5 just in Boise
2) Meet with them and see if you mesh
3) What are your interest, A place to sleep, a particular interest like gay friendly, artistic, music camp, etc. - If you like to sleep you don't want a all night dance camp
4) What do they provide- Showers, central shade, socials -I like a meal a day but this means I need to help out
5) Does your camp have activities or are you a place to collect- Once again, I like some camp activities but most of the time I can cruise around to see what else it happening
6) When do you have to be there- some have setup and tear down requirements
7) Most important (for me)- Does there seem to be a camp atmosphere of watching out for each other- It is the playa and no matter if you are a Birgin or a Burner you will need support at some point during you BM experience.
I can add a few others but I think this gives people an idea on what they need in a theme camp. Even if you decide that a theme camp is not our bag you should still reach out to the camps around your tent and learn who they are, talk about security and watch out for each other.
I love going to BM each year and for the most part I feel safe and secure but I have ran into issues with massive dehydration, out of mind people and very bad weather so I still need to understand what I need to deal with
Happy 2014 BM and let me know if you want to meet for a drink!!!!!