Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

All things outside of Burning Man.
illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by illy dilly » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Its Wednesday Post event.
Lots of folks just left Playa yesterday, others arrived home yesterday. Some have been home for days.

So, who has made it home safe, who is missing on Playa, or along the way?
And if you want, how long was your Exodus and trip home?

We got home Tuesday morning at Sunrise! Just before Denver rush hour. 8)
We left camp Sunday around 8:30pm, hit pavement around 12:30am, we made it to Lovelock, NV at Sunrise and crashed for 5 or 6 hours. We left Lovelock at noonish Monday and took us about 17 hours from there to Denver.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Who's home safe? And how was the trip?

Post by unjonharley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I came in Monday beat tired.. The cat took me and put me down for a nap..

Tire went flat mid week on the playa, big nail, changed to the spare. Had extra gas in cans to burn on the way home.. The little four banger had a couple of tough climbs, but did ok.. Now for another nap..

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Back at work already. Left Sunday around 12:30pm, Reno by approx 5:30. A bit sad to go before Temple burn, but hearing exodus times, I'm glad I left when I did.

I was appalled and terrified by the people passing on 447. I'm not talking about passing one car. I'm talking about passing a dozen cars while approaching a hill. I watched one approaching driver get forced into a soft shoulder by one of these asshats.
Sic Semper Spectatores

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Left Tuesday at 6:45 AM (THANK YOU to White Trash Superstar for the jump!)
Hit pavement at 7:20 AM (from walk-in ), made it back to the Bay Area in 7 hours, campsite to front door. I was specifically asked to make a giant golden cow for next year. :twisted:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Left the playa at 3:30 am Wednesday... zero line at gate... I'm somewhere in Oregon having a rest stop.
My old GMC is doing well, carrying all 21,000 pounds of my BM crap. The 454 has used no oil and is running well, but I really need a good turbo diesel. Someday...
I stopped at a car wash and spent some quality time with the pressure washer, badly needed! I'll probably get home to Seattle tomorrow sometime.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Stray Dog
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Airport

Post by Stray Dog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Default world obligations caused me to leave Saturday morning. Exodus had me in Oroville in 2 hours, and back home in one more hour. It was tough.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Left the Playa at noon on Tuesday. No traffic all the way home to the bay area. Only 2 stops for my hitch-hiker.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Back home Monday night around 10.

All the lovely fuckers who stayed at my house are now on their way across the globe to their own homes.

Love each and everyone of you but glad for some peace and quiet...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:44 pm

lucky420 wrote:Back home Monday night around 10.

All the lovely fuckers who stayed at my house are now on their way across the globe to their own homes.

Love each and everyone of you but glad for some peace and quiet...
... and you can wander the house in whatever state of dress you feel most comfortable in.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Can't you do that anyway? It's your house!
Although, a few times after returning home from BRC I've nearly walked out the front door to get the mail or some such thing and forgotten the default world outdoor dress code!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Elorrum wrote:
... and you can wander the house in whatever state of dress you feel most comfortable in.
I wish. I came home to two additional roommates!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Yup!

Put the laundry in and took a shower.

Then almost out the door to put it in the dryer when I realized I was nakked! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:56 pm

LOL, Figjam. I got home Sunday around 5:30 PM, at work Monday at 5:30AM. I met my boss at the front door with a genuine playa hug, and wow, that surprised him. HA HA! I hope I can keep that feeling for a while.

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm in Nebraska somewhere (it's all the same, right?), will hit Chicago tomorrow for dinner with a friend and then embark on the long leg home Friday morning. I hope to be back in NY by early evening (if I can get enough energy shots down my throat).

The Loneliest Road is simply breathtaking. Much crying along the way, some just decompressing, some inspired by awe but most in mourning for my Buddy (I sure miss that boy).

I'm definitely not looking forward to unloading the car and trying to get it in some state resembling respectability (aw fuck it, it's an archaic concept anyway).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 pm

I envy your drive, Sic Pup. I do my final clean up of the car later and later each year. I didn't put the passenger seat back in last year (this year) until January. It's an onerous tax we all pay.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Left at noon on Monday, spent the next 8 hours in the rockinest exodus street party that this default world has ever seen, including the topless women wearing the chicken head mask clucking it up with a light saber on top of an exiting RV. Made it to Reno by 1am. Dropped off my kickass newbie veteran at her fricken job Tuesday afternoon, straight to work. Now I'm sitting at my home, the one with a flushing toilet.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Got to Sacramento tonight about 5:30 pm after leaving the playa Tuesday around noon. Stayed at the Sands Tuesday night with 5 of my campmates & just chilled after showers. Didn't want to leave Reno since we were still feeling the burn! Got in the van and it wasn't riding right; had the vibration that to me says 'tire failure'. Stopped at big o and sure enough my right rear was fucked. Only two years old (bought on the way to the 2011 burn). But I didn't feel able to get to Truckee where I bought the damned thing in 2011. Couple of hours later, and a few hundred bucks, on the road again. I feel good since I got it fixed before it blew!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Left Tuesday, 4:30am, arrived home (Tucson AZ) at 1:30am, 850-miles and 16-hours in the driver's seat (car computer says so also said it was 100-degrees in Vegas & Phoenix). . . AC did not work, stopped for swims at Hawthorn Lake and Lake Mead.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 pm

home safe!

left the playa 6:30pm playa time on monday.. arrived at home in cleveland at 9pm playatime on wednesday.
Don't link to anything here!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 pm

I got out of my car in dusty shorts and a fancy bra and was met by my new neighbors, "Hey! Did you go to burning Man?" I love them already.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Left yesterday morning. Had buffet at the Sands that evening. Here at home now. I've read most of eplaya's new posts, and it's taken me hours.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 am

Gonzo and I left playa at 11am tues. Rolled into driveway 9pm ish. Sarah at the window hollering for us to hurry up. She's a good kitty, napping with me and following us around.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 am

Robbidobbs, glad you are back home and healthy. Blowphish and I were both very worried there for several hours, but seeing you up and around the next day was a wonderful sign. Glad I could be there to help a friend in need.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:16 am

Robbi Dobbs, Thank God you both made it home. I was pretty sure you would turn to Gonzo after an hour on the road only to find his seat empty.

I'm smiling. NO. Make that chuckling. Love you both. Thanks for letting me ride along and can I please do it again next year.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 am

I finally got home late last night... weighed my truck on the way; 12,000 on the truck, 9500 on the trailer! I decided to go through Klamath Falls and take HWY 58 over the pass to Eugene. I was tired and stopped for food and a nap, during which I forgot that HWY 58 was closed at 8 pm every night for road work. It was too late to make the deadline but I went anyway, hoping just maybe they would start work late, or I'd find a spot to wait until morning. Sure enough, the highway was closed - but the road crew was willing to send their pilot car through for us to pass in exchange for a sizable beer donation!!
No further incidents until about 10 miles from home. Coming through town, around a corner, my camper tore out it's tiedown anchors and the whole thing slid to the right and crooked. I was close enough to home to carefully cruise it the rest of the way, and I called a buddy to come over with his Ford to park my boat/trailer for me because the tricky maneuver into the lower driveway was gonna be a nightmare now that my camper was all cockeyed and I couldn't see anything in the mirrors.

Overall, a successful trip, the First Mate and I and all our gear made it back in mostly one piece!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 am

One flat tire, but luckily on the trailer. Quickly changed; new tire purchased in Sparks.
But I'm never again taking California State Route 20 down thru Nevada City with so much weight. Steep and winding; much brake smoke, even with my old trucker skills.
The Man burns in 358 days!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:45 am

I had to shift way down and go 15 MPH down the steep parts in my GMC so as not to ride and burn up my brakes. That was the nicest part of taking the closed-for-work HWY 58 - I had my own private highway, no one piling up behind me getting all pissed off.

I actually had a guy in a Toyota pickup pass me on the way into the playa, coming off those hills you have to go over as you approach, yell out the window "YOU STUPID ASSHOLE!!!" as he went by! I guess he wanted me to fry my brakes and crash in front of him and block the whole road instead??!! I wasn't stupid. Sorry if any of you were behind me but that's how you get safely down a mountain in something heavy!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 am

Elliot wrote:One flat tire, but luckily on the trailer. Quickly changed; new tire purchased in Sparks.
But I'm never again taking California State Route 20 down thru Nevada City with so much weight. Steep and winding; much brake smoke, even with my old trucker skills.
The Man burns in 358 days!
yeah if you're not real familiar with that road, it can eat brakes.
we've come up with a brake and hill saving alternative, though, for our heavy loads:
80 to 174 at Colfax, and across to 20 in Grass Valley.
almost the same time, and far fewer turns and topography.

Bonus: you can stop in my place, since it's only 2 mins off 174.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:57 am

We woke up Tuesday morning to a beautiful cloud covered sky. Packed up slowly and made our way to the highway at 10:30 am. Hit the pavement at 11. Drove the speed limit and saw one accident occur behind us as we passed a turnout collecting trash for $5 a bag. A VW van and a car mixed it up a little. I thought the van was going to tip but somehow the driver kept it upright. Arrived at the Sands at 1:30pm and had a nice meal. Checked into our room and took showers. It was a bit surreal to look through pictures taken through the week and to hear the bump bump bump of a DJ playing at the pool.

Left Reno Wednesday morning and got home in Santa Cruz at 4pm. I still need to unpack the van. All I have taken out so far is the cooler and my overnight bag. Unpacking is the plan for today.
In dust we trust.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:58 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:...the road crew was willing to send their pilot car through for us to pass in exchange for a sizable beer donation!! ...
:D
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Open Discussion”