Seeking tips for taming long hair on the playa

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Seeking tips for taming long hair on the playa

Post by Savannah » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Your hair is dry, dry, dry. Forget about stripping residue or brushing the heck out of your hair. Go get yourself a really thick pudding-like conditioner. Something that doesn't move when you tilt the bottle or jar, and something preferably without alcohol if you're really daring.

My favorites include Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor (only in Beauty Supply shops usually) or any of several brands of "Hair Mayonnaise" or "Motions" Conditioner (yellow/purple bottle). The latter two are aimed specifically at dry African-American hair and are in that section of a drugstore, but if you're not of that ethnicity you can still use it. The missing alcohol means the conditioner will be harder to wash out, but that might be a good thing. Aphogee does have a little alcohol and is aimed at all ethnicities, that might be a good compromise. It's really good stuff.

Forget shampooing. Load up your hair with conditioner and--if you have access to a sauna--go sit in there for 20 minutes with a canteen, and read a magazine or something.

You can even put straight olive oil in your hair like Italian ladies used to do, although it's hardest of all to get out. But a hot oil treatment is exactly what it sounds like.

You might need a trim for the ends no matter what.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Well, for one, don't brush your hair until it's clean again. You'll just tear and rip the hair. I always cringe when I hear ripping sounds from girls yanking their hair with brushes.

Anyway.. Try some stronger anti-residue shampoo (maybe Neutrogena?) a few times to really rinse out all that shit that got in there. What you're really looking to do is separate the alkaline and dust from the hair using the shampoo. Don't use too much water to rinse, as it can strip your hair; instead, work it with your hands to "pull" out as much of the shampoo and gunk that comes with it. Use minimal rinsing to get rid of the residual shampoo. I usually have to shampoo my hair at least twice just to get the dust out.

After you've cleaned that shit out, if your hair feels like shit, don't wash your hair for a few days -- maybe even a week or two. That way your hair can absorb oils and not suffer further damage. They're "conditioners" anyway. You can and should wash your scalp though, just don't wash the longer hair part if you can avoid it.

Your hair also may have suffered some sand-blasting damage. Not much you can do with that, but your natural hair oils may help. Split ends? Scissors. They're already damaged beyond repair; you can't fix them any other way.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

knowmad wrote:Being the Indian I am, I use alovera on my hair. And skin. And everything.
I've seen alovera drinks in the co-op, but haven't tried them.
I did this also this year and it worked great :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Wow. I wonder where Bbadger acquired his hair knowledge...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Thank you! I haven't washed it in two days and will spray on some argan oil on the middle/ends of my hair tonight. I guess otherwise I can just dye it platinum blond (I've never dyed my hair) because it's going to get dried out anyway. Either that or shaving my head, right?

Maybe we could have an offshoot of this thread discussing the aesthetic possibilities of post-burn ruined hair?

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I didn't have time to get my hair braided this year pre-playa. I washed it three times out there, never rinsed out all the conditioner each time. I was super lucky to have a campmate that could french braid and it was up pretty much the whole time. My hair is about mid-way down my back these days and it didn't suffer much. I do need a trim but nothing drastic. Not sure I will go through the trouble of corn rowing again. My hair is not any better or worse this year than last.
In dust we trust.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Learned some from family members, and experiences from growing my hair out for a year or so. I eventually had it cut because it was such a pain in the ass.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

BBadger wrote:Learned some from family members, and experiences from growing my hair out for a year or so. I eventually had it cut because it was such a pain in the ass.
I guess not all hair grows from the head.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Only chocolate-covered cookie sticks grow from my head!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:42 am

(I think Bbadger won that set...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am

Am I the only one who still gets oily hair on the playa? My ends get dry and frizzy and brittle, but the roots still get as greasy as they do in defaultia. The hair grease mixes with the playa dust to create a gross, sticky mass. I wait until I can't stand it anymore and then shampoo. I tried dry shampoo last year and it was a complete disaster - didn't take the grease out at all and made the ends drier and harder to comb through. I would love to find a solution for this. Maybe I'll try cornrows next time.

Riv

Post by Riv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

I kept my hair in french braids, got them redone every other day or so--had a campmate who liked braiding, luckily! I used this "ShiKai Color Reflect Mist & Go Conditioner" leave-in stuff whenever it was getting re-braided. Kept things from getting totally straw-like. I really ended up liking that stuff. Yeah, my hair was oily, but at least it wasn't all dried-out and tangled.

danibel

Post by danibel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 am

tahiti_treat wrote:Am I the only one who still gets oily hair on the playa? My ends get dry and frizzy and brittle, but the roots still get as greasy as they do in defaultia. The hair grease mixes with the playa dust to create a gross, sticky mass. I wait until I can't stand it anymore and then shampoo. I tried dry shampoo last year and it was a complete disaster - didn't take the grease out at all and made the ends drier and harder to comb through. I would love to find a solution for this. Maybe I'll try cornrows next time.

Corn rows may not help with this. I had some for three years (my first year I had short hair and just winged it, ugh, I got corn rows after that!). Two things about them, your scalp is exposed; so you have to wear a hat, scarf, or sunscreen (which could exacerbate an oily head). Secondly, when you take them out, gobs of hair comes out. Not more than you would normally lose over days and days, but it can be disconcerting. One year the braider used some fake hair and that worked well to protect my ends, as it acted as a sort of "wrap." I washed and conditioned my braids with every shower too. A wet head, even if only for a little while, cooled me down, which was nice.

As I posted above, I didn't have time to get corn rows this year. And it felt sooooo good to wash my hair and comb it out.
In dust we trust.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Once again, two braids wrapped up (like a milkmaid) and bobby-pinned, not touched, worked great. Wash and condition with whatever some jerkface left in the shower, put it back up. Easiest take down and brush out ever, this year. Just keep it up. And covered in white-outs.

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:32 am

Update: I've been using argan oil and tons of conditioner, and it's a little better. Then I got my hair cut (and went for some highlights because, whatever, my hair is damaged anyway) and that helped. So I think next year, I will maybe let it get rather long (maybe have it cut in April - I only get it cut every three months or so usually) and then cut off a few inches after bm.

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:22 am

Good point about the cornrows and the exposed scalp, Danibel. I definitely don't want to deal with scalp-burn, and if I'm going to keep it covered all the time anyway there's no point. Maybe I'll try C.f.M's milkmaid style.

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 am

ok update! The highlights were a terrible idea because it just dried my hair out further, and the rationale (it's already bad, so why not make it worse?) was not sound. I think my advice would be for people with long hair to avoid getting it cut for several months before BM so you can afford to chop off a few inches after BM. I'm getting married this year, and I sort of want to have the wedding before BM just to avoid the hair question even though I'm not even sure it will be possible to pull it off. It's so long now that I think I will have several inches cut now and wait to cut it again after BM. 9 months of growth = 4.5 inches.

I'll look into these products for this year. I think while at BM I severely lowballed the amount of oil/conditioner I would need and how drying the dust would be for my hair. I had heard about playa foot and despite wearing sandals all the time, I avoided playa foot by putting cream on my legs and feet each night. I should have done the same for my hair... Put some oil on it the night before a shower.

Also, I love these hair styling ideas to hide oil/aloe vera. So far we've got pin curls, corn rows, French braids... Other ideas?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 pm

I've got lots of naturally curly thick hair about medium length

I just let mine naturally dread up and either wear it down and wild or semi tame it up in a clip.

I wash/rinse every other day or so and leave a lil conditioner in it. I usually don't come it because why bother it's just going to curl up and go crazy anyway... :mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm jealous. My hair is a tiny bit wavy (but generally straight). At BM, there was something about the dust that made it clump up, but into thinner rope-like locks rather than thicker dreds. It looked so bad, and I had no idea it could even do that. I tried the pin curls one night, and that was somewhat better. I also tried tucking it up into a fedora after washing it to keep it from the dust a bit as it dried, but... I didn't feel as though it worked well. I'm tempted to wear some gussied-up neon wigs this year. Am just wondering whether it will be too hot for them?

EnergyFiend
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Ministry of Numbers

Post by EnergyFiend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:46 am

I'm going to resurrect this thread because I couldn't find an adequate new one. I took the advice below last year (silicone lube: Gun Oil) and it was SO much better than coconut oil! Definitely try it! I was even able to still wear it down on the 7th day, which in the past has become when it ceases to be able to get a brush through it. I mean, it was still disgusting by then, but a definite improvement in combability.

However...this year I am part of Temple crew (yes, we need more help! http://templeofpromise.org ) and may be out in the wastelands for three weeks, with very long fine hair, some of it bleached to near-disintegration. I'm thinking I simply have to get braids done, correct? Does anyone else on this thread have experience with being on playa 2+ weeks with long hair, and have you found an alternative? Being able to take your hair down is so freeing - even if the process always takes an hour on playa - and I'm looking for any way to avoid having to be restrained the whole time.
BirthChazz wrote:silicone lube, Baby!! (I use Gun Oil-in the black and gold pump)
It will not go rancid, or flake, or get crusty. (Unlike food grade oils, or conditioner)

Did two braids for set up, and tear down, to protect it from UBER dust. Have hair to below my nipples. Brushed it through with a bit more lube everyday, let it run free most nights. looked fab, no breakage no tangles.

This is my second year using this trick.

I took two showers, water only through the hair, put more lube in it.

Everything washed out with one shampoo and conditioning at the hotel in Reno.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix

Angela_1
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Eliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Angela_1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 am

EnergyFiend wrote:I'm going to resurrect this thread because I couldn't find an adequate new one. I took the advice below last year (silicone lube: Gun Oil) and it was SO much better than coconut oil! Definitely try it! I was even able to still wear it down on the 7th day, which in the past has become when it ceases to be able to get a brush through it. I mean, it was still disgusting by then, but a definite improvement in combability.

However...this year I am part of Temple crew (yes, we need more help! http://templeofpromise.org ) and may be out in the wastelands for three weeks, with very long fine hair, some of it bleached to near-disintegration. I'm thinking I simply have to get braids done, correct? Does anyone else on this thread have experience with being on playa 2+ weeks with long hair, and have you found an alternative? Being able to take your hair down is so freeing - even if the process always takes an hour on playa - and I'm looking for any way to avoid having to be restrained the whole time.
BirthChazz wrote:silicone lube, Baby!! (I use Gun Oil-in the black and gold pump)
It will not go rancid, or flake, or get crusty. (Unlike food grade oils, or conditioner)

Did two braids for set up, and tear down, to protect it from UBER dust. Have hair to below my nipples. Brushed it through with a bit more lube everyday, let it run free most nights. looked fab, no breakage no tangles.

This is my second year using this trick.

I took two showers, water only through the hair, put more lube in it.

Everything washed out with one shampoo and conditioning at the hotel in Reno.
Thank you for this! I have very long, semi-thick and wavy hair that I've contemplated braiding, but don't want the head-ache (literally) that will occur with being tight and bound all day. Ordering Gun Oil right now!

QueenFrostine
Camp Name: Salon at the Oasis

Post by QueenFrostine » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi Long Hair Friends,

Admittedly this whole thing is a big ridiculous and the easy solution is to snark it up and say "fuck it, shave your head".
That being said, my hair was my only complaint from my last burn (which is pretty damn good) so I would love to find some semi-solution to the problem.
My hair hated the camping shampoo and essentially looked and felt dirtier and broke a wide tooth comb in half...which was actually kind of impressive and scared some grown men nearby

I've been experimenting with this Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse by DpHUE and adore it (even in the "real world). I would love some opinions from some seasoned burners if this would be a no go with a sun-shower with an evap pond. In reality, I'd rather have shitty hair then ruin the playa so I'd love some thoughts!

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... Hair+Rinse
"Always be yourself..unless you suck"

pretty_monster

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:28 am

i've got long, platinum blonde hair. all i do to take care of it is keep it braided (low pigtails braided and then coiled up and pinned into buns at the nape of my neck) and keep it covered (i always wear a hat or scarf). i even sleep with the braids in, but uncoiled, only taking it down to comb it with a wide tooth comb and re-braid it each morning.

i will "wash" it once midweek by soaking it in conditioner, combing through with a wide tooth comb, rinsing, putting in leave in conditioner, and re-braiding.

sure, my hair feels totally fried and gross at the end of the burn but it's nothing a condition->comb->rinse->wash->deep condition can't fix.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”