My new home?

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
CleCub
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

My new home?

Post by CleCub » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Greeting all burners and aspiring burners. My name is Joe and I am in need of a life changing experience. I have recently found myself in one of lifes ruts. I have been consistantly disappointed by friends and supposed significant others. I can feel something more to life than just walmart, McD's and texting, I'm just having trouble with the direction. I came across burning man on youtube and was immediately enthralled with the idea of a mass of individuals, coming together as one, putting on a display of spiritual and artistic creations, ALL for the good of the community. No Money. No Endlessly ringing phones. Nothing but connecting with others in as many ways as the mind can come up with.

I have never been to a burn and never even heard of Burning Man before last week.

For someone who has problems making connections, Burning Man seems like the perfect place to stop looking for one but rather allow a connection to find me, by finding myself first.

Is is normal to watch one youtube video and become filled with hope that......this could be the answer.?
"...there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up." -- House

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: My new home?

Post by lucky420 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Hola and hello...

The videos re burning man can be pretty awesome and inspiring. It does boil down to a camping trip in extreme conditions. So enjoy but please read all there is at burningman.com (first timers guide, etc) and here for cool tips and tricks that will help make your first time out there a success.

Where do you live? Check into regional contacts for your area and see if you'd like to get involved on a local level too. Regional contacts can be found at burningman.com too
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm

welcome clecub:

if I may:

Don't, come to BRC, to "change your life"...........Please, don't show up with any expectations.
If you're in a rut, sure, come out, laugh and dance. See art. Participate...........

But don't bring baggage, expectations, wants or needs........the playa has a way of crushing the fragile, and magnifying the irrational.

work, from now till then, on you, and making yourself a blank slate. Come open, unhindered, full of questions and ready for awe.
Have no demands, no requirements, and not pre conceptions.
Spontaneity is your friend.
Dogma, is not.

Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

It is potentially lethal, physically, emotionally, and personally...........

that's all I've got.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Welcome Joe!

Yes and no. Also, maybe.

The videos don't really capture the event, and this is for two very different reasons.

On the one hand, they don't do it justice. What BM is about really doesn't show up on film very well. You'll see art, and dancing, and smiling faces, and fire, but the feeling of actually being there is unreal. The first time you walk out to the esplanade at night and look across the great circle you'll experience something like nothing else on Earth. For me words couldn't capture it, and I'd done my homework and watched every video I could find before the burn.

On the other hand, you have to realize that these videos are all highlight reels. They're capturing happy people having the best moments of their burn. So while the video may not do those wonderful experiences justice, they very rarely show you the lows that go along with them.

For example, they don't show you rolling out of a dusty sleeping bag with three hours of sleep under your belt and wondering why you're there as you try to figure out where to go or what to do. BRC is a wonderful place, but you have to bring a little joy and optimism through the gate with you if you plan on having enough to get you through the week. There's always something going on and it is possible to get swept into random, unexpected, and wonderful moments, but you can't expect the festival to magically heal your wounds.

I have never felt more completely alone than I did Tuesday night (end of my second full day) when I was in the temple, surrounded by a group of people. I found myself curled up on the ground in the dust, desperately wishing a stranger would hug me, paralyzed by loneliness. It was awful, and definitely the low point of my burn. That being said, after I got myself unstuck from that little pit of misery, I managed to salvage the night with the help of the folks from Nexus and their awesome little sound car. Chatting with them turned my experience around, dancing with them made me smile, and helping them push their car out of the loose dust every time it got stuck made the smile grow and stick and spread.

I don't mean to discourage you, by any means. Burning Man can be absolutely wonderful. But people do have bad burns, and I don't want to see you fall for the trap of expecting the burn to make you happy. Only you can make your burn whatever it will become, and from the sound of things you may need to sort through some stuff in the next 300 days before it's time to make the journey. Best of luck.

Edit:

Ygmir hit the nail on the head while I was writing my own post; thanks for my new signature. What he said summarizes my Tuesday catastrophe quite well.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 pm

yep, I agree with ygmir, and lucky, both wise.

Here's something I think about from time to time about Burning Man. It's a seasoning for my life, and when I try to make it my entire nourishment, it fails me. It gives me a different perspective on my life, but not a different life altogether. It's also a very dirty camping trip, you get self reliance points for going and thriving. sort of like that?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 pm

I was a boy scout as a child and still go primitive camping to this day. Whether I'm on the motorcycle or camping with the nephews, we usually just pack a small tent and a few tarps. I have been camping in a variety of conditions ranging from -40F to an island in the Florida Keys. I would love to test my skills in the desert. I live in Cleveland Ohio so we go through a pretty wide range of temps.

I am pretty stoked to see if I can make it to 2014. I'm hoping to hook up with someone or a group from the CLE area. I am really into the volunteer system in place at Burning Man and I have filled out a questionnaire.

@ ygmir: discovering something inside myself is all im HOPING to do. The only expectation I have is for a grand adventure.....for better or worse.
"...there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me', though, if you jumble it up." -- House

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Just come, expecting dust. Everything else, will fall into place. The hardest part is getting there.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 am

Dust is just mud without the water, and we love mud in Ohio. Although dust is unlike mud because in the desert, the dust can attack you, and dust fights dirty. It goes for your eyes, grinds in your teeth and gets in the most unmentionable of areas.

I dont expect something to suddenly change everything that makes life shitty. At the very least I'm hoping to ride a art bike in the desert, see some amazingly talented artists and their creations/performances and maybe set some stuff on fire or at least watch.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 am

Hello and welcome to ePlaya. I couldn't comment on whether it's normal or not, but I can strongly advise you to cut it out. Sure, watch whatever videos you want and feel free to enjoy them, but do anything and everything you can to keep your expectations in check. The road to disappointment is paved with great expectations. That's true not only of Burning Man, but anything in life. Throughout the next several months of planning and preparation, remind yourself that this is just a camping trip in the desert. A very freaky, crazy camping trip... but a camping trip nonetheless.

Check out some of the basic required reading stuff (First-timer's guide and Survival Guide, linked on the main Burning Man web page). Do some surfing here on the boards, you'll see quite a few of the additional questions you may have discussed, and feel free to ask your own if you don't see a topic covered. Ticket info for next year's event should be posted within the next couple months, with the tickets themselves going on sale sometime in early 2014. But you have plenty of time to figure out all the other stuff, the logistics and camping trip details, and an opportunity to virtually connect with some seasoned veterans as well as others planning their first burn. Welcome!

Guy Noir

Post by Guy Noir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 am

“I'd rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised.”
― Ben Franklin
Moderation in all things...including moderation.

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:20 pm

....That I am. Excellent way to look @ it. Thanks Ben!

Guy Noir wrote:“I'd rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised.”
― Ben Franklin

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Welcome! Read all you can on this site and the burning man site. Also youtube videos are great but you really need to read to prepare. I hope to return home next year.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

lulu_Mou

Post by lulu_Mou » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Clecub,
Welcome!!

I'm also planning to make it to the burn next year and it will be my first. I am finding it really hard to not be completely excited by everything I've read, seen and heard about burning man.
The replies that you get on this forum are so helpful to yourself and for people like me who are just in absolute awe of this whole event... pre and post. I don't know about you but I want to know more. Hear more stories/ experiences good or bad.
Im making my trek down from Australia and I've been told it's not as hard as you think. But I can't seem to wrap my head around how it can't be hard. You literally have to create your own sustainable habitat in conditions I personal have never experienced and then pack it up and take it all back with you.... Eek!! But my drive is what tramps all that fear for me. There is an abundance of information on the website and forum to prepare you in the physical sense and all the rest I would imagine will be delt with on the playa. And your journey from now should be to make you happy and alive in the now.

Good luck, Look forward to seeing you and everyone else on the playa next yearSmiling face with open mouth and smiling eyes
so ready for this!! :D
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Welcome,

Have fun on eplaya and read read read. YouTube vids like you mention also kick ass for exposure and there are few great films online at the movie services about BM. As Ygmir mentioned going to BM to change your life may or may not work out. I have seen virgins spend a year preparing for their journey only to be completely crushed by all sorts of external factors. The desert is harsh, dry, dusty, hot, and uncomfortable to many. It can rain an inch in only an hour making it impossible to do anything (although rare) it does happen. Temperature swings of almost 100 degrees in a day or not uncommon, its loud and eclectic and can lead to sensory overload. Other virgins have a blast and it is everything they need and expected.

Personally, for me, it is a couple of weeks to decompress from my career and try to let the craziness out and soak into the playa, recharging me for another year. Others see it as a personal sort of Hajj, a spiritual journey that has much deeper meaning to them. So you see you will get out what you put in largely, but ther is always that "X" factor, those external factors i mentioned that will completely ruin or make a burn for you.

Also, last couple bits of personal advice:
1. The eplaya is a very snarky and wit filled forum. There is drama like any board, ass-hats, super cool dudes and girls. Do not be thin skinned if you get shot down in a post or think your being attacked personally. many times its just someone trying to be funny and failing at it.

2. Don't believe the media about BM. While every form of debauchery is available, its just as available in any large city of 70k people. Don't come expecting to find drugs or an easy lay. The media likes to focus on the one guy walking around with a doobie in the open, or the flyer of an orgie at such and such place. In fact we had dozens of people come by with flyers and tickets for the "Oakenfold opening for Daft Punk concert" yeah - never happened.

Dont forget to come to the meet and greet, (although I keep getting sucked into work - three years in a row now!!)

MDMF007
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

RosieTahoe

Post by RosieTahoe » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Joe...I was in your position this time last year and I read everything I could on these forums and watched every single video I could get my hands on. I am a planner by nature, and maybe just a bit obsessive, and I was EXCITED damnit! Anyway, I don't regret having very high expectations by the time August (finally) came around. I just made sure that I didn't have specific expectations, only that I was ready to have an awesome time. It did turn out to be pretty much the most sustained fun I have ever had in my life, but that is a story for a different day ;)

I agree with what most of the seasoned burners have said above about the fact that there are certainly down/sad times that accompany some of the highest times, but as long as you are willing to roll with it and continuously stay open to the next "thing" (you never know what the hell that could be at BM) you will be just fine. Also, the videos really don't do the playa one bit of justice, the scale of it all is absolutely indescribable, but still watch away!

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:35 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Morrell

Post by Morrell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:38 pm

If you go without any preset notions of what you have to experience and let the event take you where you need to be taken, you will likely have the time of your life!

PoppyFitzgerald82
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Mayan Warrior

Post by PoppyFitzgerald82 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Everything you have read here on eplaya is true, There are good times, bad times and everything in between. I have been attending the Burn on and off for the last 15 years, and the hardest part for me has always been the drive to and from the event. It is dangerous and stressful. The thing that is funny to me is how I always want to endure the biggest obstacles. This makes the trip feel so much more deserved.
Drop your expectations at the Gate and let the Playa take you where you are meant to go. It truly is the biggest adventure and worth all the crap you will come in contact with. The harder is is to get there, the better the reward will be. I couldn't make it last year even though I had all the food, water and tickets needed, life threw me a curveball and I unfortunately struck out.
Hopefully we will meet on the Playa with dust in our eyes!
Poppy

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:18 am

All great advise and comments from everyone. I will admit I am pretty excited. Im already starting to plan and come up with some gift ideas to give away on the playa. I don't go to parties and things around here much because they have turned into popularity contests for everyone to judge. Everything I have read and seen of the playa tells me it is a place where none of that matters. I am not expecting it to be a heaven on earth where all problems are immediately solved and your greeted with the warmest feelings and angels sing. I do expect it to be a place where people can go to forget their problems for a while and reflect on who they are as a person, not as an employee or a son or daughter. I expect it to be a camping trip in a new and beautiful environment that will test all of the camping skills I have learned. I expect to see things I have never seen before and will likely never see again. For better or worse, I expect it to be an epic adventure.
I expect dust. \<>/

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:46 pm

CleCub wrote:Im already starting to plan and come up with some gift ideas to give away on the playa.
Don't. Just don't. Forget "gifts" your first year, unless you get truly inspired & want to make a few of something to give to people you happen to bond with. The most important gift is you - a helping hand, a nice conversation, a shoulder to cry on. Most of the rest are just tchotchkes, some are nice to have, but the majority are ultimately MOOP. Worry about planning your trip, finding the things you'll need, everything else. Gifts are absolutely the least important thing.
I don't go to parties and things around here much because they have turned into popularity contests for everyone to judge. Everything I have read and seen of the playa tells me it is a place where none of that matters.
You obviously haven't seen & read enough yet, and this is placing expectations on the event that can ruin your trip. Look at the cover story from our playa newspaper this year: "Are you hot enough to get on my art car", read threads on this board. There are still people who will judge you, people don't stop being human just because they're on the playa. If you go in expecting there to be none of this you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. If you go in knowing it still happens, but in most cases happens way less then outside BRC, you'll be in much better shape.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:58 pm

My first year, Black Rock City was everything I expected it to be. I almost didn't go back because of that.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Allow me to revise my previous statement. Obviously I didn't mean spending now until the end of next year making 60,000 things that would prob. be thrown away for people I have never met. I meant exactly what you suggested in bringing a few things that I could make to give to new friends as a way of saying thank you.

"Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value."

Also Eric,
Everything I have read and seen of the playa tells me it is a place where none of that matters.
As previously stated, I do NOT expect it to be a heaven or utopian society where none of that negativity exists. I simply meant that I'm sure it exists but is irrelevant because we're supposed to be there for something greater and common between burners. Self exploration and expression, making new connections, giving part of yourself back to the community and many more. Whether its volunteer time, food, water, knowledge......anything. I intend to show up, set up my camp, sit down and see what happens next. These are the extent of my expectations and plans for the week. If I end up sitting in that chair all week and admiring the landscape....(or lack of).....I'll be happy. It wont be the first camping trip that ended up that way. Looking back, I always had fun at some point during the trip, and those moments were worth suffering through all the crappy times.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:32 pm

The first year I went and was filled with the Pollyanna beautiful joys and secrets of the universe.

Shortly after the burn last year, I found myself sitting in a hotel room in Reno trying to figure out why I do this.

This year: I cracked like an egg, and now I'm trying to decide if I'm an omelette, fried, or scrambled.

That place is what you make of it, and apparently, I don't fuck around.

Before entering this year, I watched the greeter provoke three of the people traveling with me to ring a gong and yell

"COME AND GET ME BURNING MAN!"

Seemed to me like a particularly fucking stupid thing to ask for.

Hope to see you next year at Bullshit Summer Camp. You might just hate to love it, or love to hate it.

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

This Burning Man thing is turning out to be quite a conundrum. You all seem to love it and hate it. I read in another post that talked about the same thing. He/She summed it up best by saying something like...."If I was a star trek android.....I think my head would explode" These first few days on eplaya have been extremely informative, helpful and somewhat confusing, but never discouraging. I have on old schwinn bicycle in storage that I will be getting out this weekend. I can't wait to start working on it.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Nipple wrote:The first year I went and was filled with the Pollyanna beautiful joys and secrets of the universe.

Shortly after the burn last year, I found myself sitting in a hotel room in Reno trying to figure out why I do this.

This year: I cracked like an egg, and now I'm trying to decide if I'm an omelette, fried, or scrambled.

That place is what you make of it, and apparently, I don't fuck around.
Hee. :wink:

This was me . . .

2000: what

2001: hey!

2003: yeah!

2008: HOLY SHIT

2009: neeeeat

2010: OMG

2011: feh

2012: ¡ZING!

2013: OMGWTFbBq

Welcome, CleClub. Don't mind us--we're just trying to make sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment. Some folks only go once. Or half of once. :) So . . . it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Focus on physical prep, & let go of the rest. If I were speaking to a virgin friend, I'd honestly urge them to ignore the videos starting now, unless they were looking at windstorms or preparation tips.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Burning Man is spectacular, and it can be great, but it can also suck if you come in with expectations or emotional baggage or if you aren't ready for the sheer demands the event imposes (financial, physical, etc).

We're simply trying to keep you grounded so that you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment. Not to speak for the community, but I know that at least I personally have a tendency of glorifying the experience since I'm so fresh from my first burn. I think it's important to salt all the happy stories you're hearing and videos you're watching so that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Sorry if we're raining your parade.

Edit:

Bonus tip! If you're prepping a bike, make sure it has nice fat tires. The surface isn't as solid as it looks and dust dunes do build up, even in town. Beach cruisers are best, mountain bikes are passable. Hybrid bikes will suffer. Road bikes will fail.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

CleCub

Post by CleCub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Excellent tip considering my bike needs new tires anyway. I can imagine it would be pretty tough trying to pedal through loose sand.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm

It's dust . . . it's fine as baby powder. :) Sometimes deep drifts of it, over powerful ruts.

On a lucky year that's had some rain, the surface is pretty hard and flat, and not so bad.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 pm

It rained THIS year and there was still monstrous dust at quite a few major intersections and all over the open playa. Especially if you ride at night when they're hard to see you can end up in deep dust without much warning.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:58 pm

What Eric said.

Don't worry too much about gifts your first year. Concentrate on preparing for a week long camping trip in the desert. The conditions can be quite harsh and you need to be prepared and self sufficient. (I prep like I'm the only one going so I have everything I could need and then some) Once you've been to TTITD once, you'll have a MUCH better idea what to do next year.

Besides all the prep, just go and have fun, participate, climb on shit, help a neighbor, say hi to people, pick up some moop, burn shit, have a bad day, have a REALLY good day, say WTF is THAT??? (a lot), and generally just be there.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Return to “The Greeter's Station”