rock & roll on the playa? a poll.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

would you hang out at a camp that only played rock and roll?

yes
46%
yes
46%
no
4%
no
4%

Total votes: 98

iamtonynyc

rock & roll on the playa? a poll.

Post by iamtonynyc » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:01 am

this was my first year and the lacking in variety of music on the playa made me sad but also inspired me. there may be a camp or camps that play rock and roll but i didn't see one.

YerNotDaBossOMe

Post by YerNotDaBossOMe » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:51 am

I remember hearing some MoTown at one point and was thrilled. By being on the playa for a week I came to appreciate house, trance and electronica - which I had not listened to much. But I vowed to bring a real mix of music when I return - hard rock, alternative, bluegrass, Sinatra, James Brown, Led Zepplin, Elvis Costello, John Coltrane...whatever. The techno beats get a bit old after a while. And I heard that comment often enough that I'm confident people would be attracted to different music. If you build it, they will come.
There...I said it and I'm glad!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:32 am

I was just so darn delighted to hear Brave Combo's "Hokey Pokey" on a mobile bar my first year. One of the highlights.

QuasiPseudo

Post by QuasiPseudo » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:07 am

I was able to hear classic rock randomly thoughout the week, coming from the back streets as well as the esplenade camps. More than any previous year, from my own perspective.

I heard lots of hip-hop & gangsta rap too...

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:54 am

Being a virgin this year I expected to hear lots and lots of techno. It was pretty close to my estimations.

I found variety in small camps and a couple art cars. Kudos to that country playing art car/bar barge for having the balls to play what they damn well felt like playing. I like all kinds of music and probably least like the country/western scene but out on the playa it was a refreshing break from the constant thump thump stuff. I would have liked to hear more rock but I would have also liked to hear more live music too.

I guess the people that have the largest sound systems really like techno.

Next year's art bike will only play what I want to hear. I say bring your own music and hopefully others will find you.

Don't be like the guy cruising his techno thumping art car down 6:30 in the wee hours Monday morning and break down right by my RV. And if you do, please for the love of gawd, turn down the music. I heard the sound slowly creeping closer and I was ok with it, thinking it would pass shortly. After 15 minutes I got a lot less ok with it.

S3

HughMungus

Re: rock & roll on the playa? a poll.

Post by HughMungus » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:28 am

If the purpose of the camp was to listen to music, no. Burning Man isn't about music, it's about people. Music at Burning Man should be nothing more than background noise.
It's what you make it.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:23 pm

you want it?
you bring it.
call me baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:25 pm

stuart wrote:you want it?
you bring it.
and if you do bring it, don't forget the Allman Brothers Band...

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:55 pm

Every evening I took my scooter w/early 50sR&R around the back streets. Lots of smiles, waves and ALl rights. We are talking old rock and roll.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Flon

Post by Flon » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Not very interested if it is recorded music. OTOH, I'd be all over it if it was live.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:53 pm

One of my many favorite moments this year was following the sound of King Crimson until I got to its origin and dancing in my wool socks all by myself as the DJ went OFF into old "progressive" rock. I find this to be the ultimate playa music. And I thank him, whoever he is for giving me that awesome CD which he recorded on the spot. Now I've got the memory AND the soundtrack!

If you play it I will dance--but I'd rather be present than in a trance!

Mars
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:47 am

This year I played NO techno/trance on the boat, only Beach Boys and blues, including one of my favorites, Little Charlie and the Nightcats.
And I had a lot of people tell me it was a refreshing change from all the tech-no!
I'll be adding in some rock'n'roll for next year.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

someguy

Post by someguy » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:51 am

I am thinking of 24 hours a day of Sinatra! Rat Pack Camp mebbe.

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:40 am

We had a "techno free zone" at our bar, and played goth and industrial music in the evenings. I think next year we are planning on staying open 24x7 and doing 80's and rock during the day. I gotta get the LED out on the playa!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

inkyboi

POOP!

Post by inkyboi » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:51 pm

GOTH AND INDUSTRIAL... shit, I knew that I shoulda checked out Spike's.

I'm itching to do an 80s/new wave/electropop camp. I'm thinking Depeche Mode with a sunrise. "Home" maybe maybe "New Dress."

A DM camp would be perfect!

PLEASE tell me you had ::Wumpscut:: / Kraftwerk / Sisters of Mercy / KMFDM / Peter Murphy

TheMuse

Post by TheMuse » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:56 pm

Most of the above. If you are on Tribe.net, we have a Spike's Vampire Bar tribe with a thread where you can request specific songs/music for next year. I am the DJ so will try to bring everyone's favs.
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

fresh
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

you want it you find it.....

Post by fresh » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:04 am

was not on the playa this year :cry: :x

but the past three years i found enough different music, especially at HAIR OF THE DOG where live music was heard most of the night..... plenty of people playing and singing along around the playa, you just gotta find it...

our personal contribution has always been TOM JONES!!!!!!!!!!
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Re: POOP!

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:17 am

inkyboi wrote:GOTH AND INDUSTRIAL... shit, I knew that I shoulda checked out Spike's.

I'm itching to do an 80s/new wave/electropop camp. I'm thinking Depeche Mode with a sunrise. "Home" maybe maybe "New Dress."

PLEASE tell me you had ::Wumpscut:: / Kraftwerk / Sisters of Mercy / KMFDM / Peter Murphy
Thanks, INky. I'm with you on that. I loved Club Verboten's Glam Rock Night "When T-Rex Ruled the World" Kraftwerk Night I heard was cool there too but the Depache Mode Night got a little old. That's OK, it's not like you can't vote with your feet and move on. You have to respect a DJ who sticks with his theme and I'm sure Tim had lots of requests/demands that tried to derail him.

Next year I hope to add Pink Floyd's Time and other thematic tunes to a roster blasted from our Time Machine mutant vehicle.

Let's face it, everyone. We prefer music with singing in it!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:14 pm

We had plenty of Rock at our bar. We even had Led Zepplin. We had a pretty good variety with absolutely no Techno.

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:34 am

Hey Jellyfish.Thanks for the mention of Club Verboten.We try to offer something different each year in line with our retro avant garde theme.I love good techno though and appreciate the many camps who play it.
Glam rock night was alot of fun.Always wanted to go to a dance that played"Telegram Sam" and "TVC 15".Most likely will give it another go next year.Glad you were there and enjoyed it.
Depeche Mode Night was a struggle.The "who what and where guide"handicapped the event greatly by not including the venue name OR the location.Unless you went the previous year or were psychic it was tough to find. End result,for the most part ,was a "drop in"crowd who naturally wanted the favorites.Tough to slide"Halo"into that mix let alone"Home".You are probably right though in that it might be getting old.We may give it a rest for next year.
Surprisingly the Kraftwerk Night which was going on its' fifth year(and I was thinking beforehand that IT might be getting old) was the best ever.Great crowd who in the middle of the show turned off all the lights giving license to play things like Metropolis and Spacelab without worrying about people walking out en masse.Nights like these are why you drop the long green for your camp every year.
Next year we will be having a party featuring late 70's- early 80's stuff.May call it"CBGBs To Hammersmith Odeon" or "Talking Heads meets "Elvis Costello".See you all there.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Elvis Costello

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:41 pm

zorro sings wrote:Hey Jellyfish.Thanks for the mention of Club Verboten....
Next year we will be having a party featuring late 70's- early 80's stuff.May call it"CBGBs To Hammersmith Odeon" or "Talking Heads meets "Elvis Costello".See you all there.
Thanks, Z. All you had to mention is Elvis Costello and I am already looking for some cuffed jeans and a sport coat for next year. I think I'll need some novelty teeth too! Pump it up!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

jbelson

Post by jbelson » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:10 pm

For my small camp. we did the "Vault of Halen" breakfast where we just played van halen. One day it was a "Vault of Hagar" where we mixed in later Halen with some good 'ol Sammy.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer

DokktorWho222

GD24/7

Post by DokktorWho222 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:06 pm

Grateful Dead 24/7 themed camp? it would steal your face right off your head.
"The Lord is my shepherd...I shall not want for nothing. He makes me lie down in the green pastures. He greases up my head with oil. He gives me kung-fu in the face of my enemies. Amen."
-Tom Cullen - The Stand

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:20 am

I passed by a camp every day not too far behind center camp that was playing Grateful Dead 24/7. I was pretty pleased about that.

phoenix13

Re: POOP!

Post by phoenix13 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:22 pm

inkyboi wrote:GOTH AND INDUSTRIAL... shit, I knew that I shoulda checked out Spike's.

I think the answer to that would be yes...

And Skinny Puppy, NIN, Juno Reactor, Apop. Berzerk, usw.
And in time we will all burn and become a new.

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 pm

Seems like there's not enough cross of NIN meets TOOL, perfect circle meets King Krimson, Return to forever types of music.

Am I wrong?
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:44 pm

DVD Burner wrote:Am I wrong?
usually.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Natalia Von Magpie

Post by Natalia Von Magpie » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:40 am

... We brought our own! My friend has a tradition of taking his guitar and amp out onto the playa and shredding while another friend blows flames behind him. But this year we set up on the back of the truck and rocked out some impromptu tunes before the temple burned. It was nice, providing a soundtrack to a few campers while they packed up their stuff. Next year I will rock out even harder! Not only proper rocking, but a karaoake motherfucking Apocalypse! (pardon my french and i guess thats a different thread!)

RAAAAAAWR!

alienfry

if we build it

Post by alienfry » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:18 am

a lot fewer things are involved in setting up for a DJ than for a band.

if someone took on a leadership role and said "aight niggs, we need someone to supply THIS, another to bring THIS, another to bring THIS" and so on (which is essentially how camps are born), i would be all over helping. even if it weren't my camp.
awesome oppossum

Discosybil

Post by Discosybil » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:45 am

Ahhhhh "Earth, Wind and Fire" We listened to them and I must say the name of the group was perfect this year.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”