New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
waynerd
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Post by waynerd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:19 pm

mshaman wrote:@Piehole, @Waynerd, if you dudes are representative of the incoming crew, I'm happy. You're both welcome to hang out in the Lustrous In-Dust-rious camp whenever you want, if you want. 7:30 & J, We've got margaritas waiting at sunset and bacon waiting at breakfast.

My concern is around the 4 ravers who show up with a couple of cases of beer and a can of Pringles, hoping to sell their acid for $100/hit to what must surely be a captive market. They don't have room in their ricered-out Honda for a tent because of the subwoofer in the back. It was a nice car a year ago when mommy and daddy bought it for them, but now it's completely worked over. One of my camp-mates witnessed this at Alchemy in Georgia... a commercial event where it grew from 900 to 2700 in one year... as he relates it, it was a rave, not a burn, and no one had ever heard of Leave No Trace... the median age was about 20 and everyone was trying to steal his stuff. He had to lock EVERYTHING to keep people from rifling through it looking for food, drugs, or valuables. People would actually walk into his tent while he was there and start opening coolers, boxes, whatever. These folks are not the virgins here on the board, they are the "children of entitlement" from a party-school who want nothing but to roll and fuck. Don't get me wrong, I like both activities myself, but there is an element of responsibility that they miss. At Alchemy it showed up in the place looking like a back-alley in New Delhi, trash and wanton destruction everywhere.

The above scenario is one I'd like to avoid at the big burn. The burgins on this board actually give a fuck, which is why they're here. They are not the problem, they are the solution.
Thanks Mshaman. Aside from learning and getting comfortable enough to ask stupid questions I figured that participating on eplaya would be a good way to "pre-meet" some burners. Since I'm flying solo it's a really cool feeling to have a few of you invite me to your camps already. I've also been invited to visit Kamp Krusty as well. It feels great ,so thanks.

And here's an aforementioned stupid question as well. How early is too early to show up, set up and help out? I have "the day job" but have taken the Friday 24th off. This means I'll be leaving for BM2012 right from work on Thursday night. I'll be excited and since I can drive long stretches I was wondering how early I can come through those gates?
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm

vargaso wrote:
DrYes wrote:And heck, my single favorite encounter on the playa last year was coming back from Opulent's Wed night white party in the wee hours, my girlfriend and I both sparklepony'd to the hilt, and started talking to a young (maybe 19?) birgin who had JUST arrived and hadn't even made it to the esplanade yet. Ok, so he was actually a bit doe-eyed, but considering he JUST got there, I won't blame him. I remember he was wearing a suit. He was great to talk to and he made me feel really good about Burning Man in general, as seeing it through his eyes was even better than through mine (and it's damn good through mine). Never saw him again, but seriously, my favorite human encounter last year.
Yes and yes. I LOVE running into burgins and listening to them gush and awe and be so damn happy and overwhelmed and appreciative. My favorite encounter from 2011 was also with a burgin, we were having a little dance party at camp, the sound system was going, I was playing my drumkit, and bunch of others were banging on various percussion, and a couple young dudes (early 20s) wandered in just wide-eyed (from wonder and drugs, sure, but you know...), and one of them steps up to the mic (oh yes, we have a mic) and starts rapping in Swedish. Ha! And he was GOOD! And afterwards, we all hugged, and of course he spoke perfect English, and he asked a million questions and couldn't believe how cool our camp was (and we're a relatively small camp), and we downed some shots and the went on their way. So much fun! And couldn't have happened with a veteran.

So, yeah, burgins, gotta love 'em.
It's really unfortunate that things like this will be sacrificed so that groups like roots society can bring more dubstep to the playa.

hotmess
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Post by hotmess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Theres Always One wrote:It's really unfortunate that things like this will be sacrificed so that groups like roots society can bring more dubstep to the playa.
I couldn't agree with you more.

socks

Post by socks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:49 pm

My question is a simple one.When we took the survey it said it would not be attached to the ticket request.So how in hell do they know how many newbies got tickets?
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 pm

hotmess wrote:
Theres Always One wrote:It's really unfortunate that things like this will be sacrificed so that groups like roots society can bring more dubstep to the playa.
I will multi-quote this for eternity

socks

Post by socks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:49 pm

They sold me on this idea we were building a community once a year for a week,Nowhere else on earth can you find such a thing.I believed.That was floating world.This was going to be my 10 burn and my still be.But no thanks to BM.org.They fucked this up but their goals were met.The got the sales of 40,000 tickets in one day.Now that's a pay day going into a interest bearing account.Do they care what damage they did to the community?But i judge action much more than words.With the march sale called off to give the tickets to the "special people" of burning man just is not right.Then BM.org dealt out more pain to the burner community with the 1 ticket rule on Step.Who in hell is thinking this shit up.You start off splitting the community and now you are going after families too.

The burn this year will be different.I am sure of that.Just like New Orleans after Katrina the soul of the city has changed without the same people.It was the secret sauce.A lot of burner's who have pulled this wagon for years will not be going because of this.Bm.org is more worried about the newbies than the people that brought them to this point.That is the sad part.If i sound bitter and angry its because i am.I hope all have a good time but a little part of me is wishing for 65 mile winds and white outs for 5 days just for Karma.I hope to see you all on the playa
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

International Incident
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:57 pm

socks wrote:
Just like New Orleans after Katrina the soul of the city has changed without the same people.
So because a few (generally) middle class people can't do what they want to for a week, you equate this with the mass death and destruction caused by Katrina and the impact the monumental stuff up in rehousing and rebuilding New Orleans.

Nope. Not the same thing. We are not talking about a disaster, or a human tragedy. New Orleans is rebuilding. BM is rebuilding.

and... go grab yourself a can of harden the fuck up and drink it down.

asaxon

Post by asaxon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Several points - if some have already been hashed out please accept my apology :-)

I'm very happy to see how the BMOrg has understood that they need to involve and inform the community, even to the level of real time updates and questions - this will go a long way towards solving the issues. We're on the right track now, even if there's a lot of ground to cover.

I think the issue with virgins is not (only) about surviving in the desert, having skill, or contributing, but more about having enough people who can orient newcomers into the "BM story / feel". Knowing the sense of "home", and being able to "show it" to others, is what many of the veterans bring - each does it differently, but the result is a consistent feel over many years, which is what makes it different from a random (albeit great) party.

In the default world as well, populations that have large sudden shifts in demographics have long adjustment periods and many long term issues. With the ratio of virgins already being orders of magnitude higher, I think it was a "least bad" option, to both solve the camps dilemma, and shift the balance of tickets towards veterans. I suspect there will be many difficulties in the distribution. No matter how it's done it will not be really "fair", but I hope it can be done without breaking the fabric of the community.

I fully support named tickets. I think there are simple ways to get all ticket named, which would cut heavily into the scalpers possible gains. You could provide a list of 1,2 or X names that can be associated with a ticket - none are known to scalpers before they sell, and the chances of matching a random name are not good enough for a scalper. This can be done for the "new" STEP tickets as well.

Allow two weeks for everyone who has a ticket to attach a list of names to it, before STEP begins, or have your ticket refunded. Scalpers, realizing they will have no way to know names before the tickets are sold will have to return their tickets to the ORG for a refund. Make a FULL refund, so the scalpers don't lose anything, then they will be more likely to return the tickets, making no "enemies" and providing the most "win" for the community.

These "real time" changes of the system, in collaboration with the community, even if they are a pain in the @#$, are the biggest way to thwart scalpers. It's a community coming together and THAT is what BM is about.

Let's keep this going and we will have another great burn!

Sandstorm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:16 pm

MedullaB wrote:My fear isn't necessarily of virgins - quite frankly I have the same fears of any burners who have not expereinced the absolute fierceness that playa weather can throw at you.

The last two burns I see more and more structures not properly secured, the last two years no problems since there hasn't been any major winds...

I just don't want to see a mangled aluminum EZ up come flying towards me at 45 mph...
Well said. '07 was my first burn. I got to BRC in an RV via a ride share I was lucky enough to find on eplaya. I went back in '08 and my wife came with me and we were part of a low key and well established NYC based theme camp that had about 35 members. My wife and I did load in and load out and were well prepared for our burn...

...except for the zip cord required to tether down the magnificent high end steel frame shade structure that I had bought for that burn.

Being that I had experienced the dust storms of '07 you can imagine the terror I felt at the moment that I realized that while my shade structure was well and amply grounded with rebar at its feet it was not secured well enough to avoid being turned into a large and deadly projectile via high winds or a dust storm.

Well, I still thank (the) G_d(s) for the fellow camp mate of mine who was not just a veteran burner but also a ranger and who had an ample supply of parachute cord from which I was able to freely borrow.

I learned from my fear inducing fuck up in '08 and went back in '10 and '11 and can now set up and break down my encampment with practically no assistance from others.

Which leads me to the subject of virgins:

waynerd, finxiekins, brianna: you folks seem awesome and I am sure that you will be make BRC a better place for your presence. It makes me feel badly to read that any of you have received any type of bad vibe because you are virgins. Altough I have blown up FB about my thoughts on the ticketing fiasco I have only recently returned to/been spending time on eplaya. FYI, Sandstorm is the playa name I was given in '10 and this is a new eplaya account for me. I used to post here before I had a playa-name and I can attest to the fact that long before this ticket Lotto-ery fiasco blew up eplaya was already a well oiled snark machine.

I wish all the (good) virgins the best for their first burn. I hope that they get to experience both the spectacle of BRC and the quiet sides of BRC the ones. There have been plenty of moments when I have cried at the beauty of the natural environment, the passion that goes into the art and the attire of burners, the open hearts that many bring or discover when on the playa. It's amazing what modern life can be like when capitalism and smart phones are swapped out for community, mirth, team work and the Black Rock desert.

Which leads me to the subject of veteran burners and the positive role that they play with virgins:

Beyond the long term survival of the event what I worry most about this year's burn is that if in fact there is going to be a surge of virgins this year that the ticket Lotto-ery fiasco will reduce the number of veteran burners who will be on playa and who know how to properly respond when they see a burner at risk, someone who is in need of H20 or some food, a steady hand back to their camp or the med tent, an insulating layer of clothing or a plastic survival blanket.

It has been said by some that being on the playa is not that tough an experience and I would both agree and disagree. I have a cast iron stomach, do not freak out on when on recreational drugs or in panic situations and have done ample long distance cycling and thus know how to properly hydrate. That is not the case for everyone else.

Virgins, read up and stock up and know that you will likely buy too much food for the burn because your appetite will likely decrease while you are there. Do not take for granted that even if you are a tough cookie that you will be able to handle the playa experience without hitting some bumps. In '07 I used the med tents twice simply so that I could rest a balky knee and take a nap before I walked all the way back to my camp (6:35 & E) from 3:00 and Esplanade. There's long distances to cover out there on foot or bike, when you are drunk, tripping and/or tired. One night in '07 I laid down on the ground and took a nap under an art installation because I knew that I was too drunk to safely walk home and I felt comfortable taking that nap because I was well prepared: I had dressed in layers and was insulated from the cold and thus knew that I would not get exposure if I passed out on the ground for a while.

Which leads me to the subject of the Lotto-ery:

The simple fact is that via the Lotto-ery certain members of BMORG have done both the community and the event a great disservice with how they have handled this situation. They fucked up. Then they fucked up again. They will continue to fuck up between now and when the gates open to public in August. End of story.

I sadly suspect that we are witnessing the initial death throes of Burning Man. The fact is that certain people in BMORG have brought ample confusion and anger to the community that creates the content for Burning Man. You cannot buy the type of loyalty and good will that this community had for the event prior to the initial Lotto-ery announcement.

I hate to say it but even if I were to acquire a ticket I am not sure that I would go this year after what BMORG has done to the community. Then there's the part of me that after reading this entire thread wants to go to BM this year and see what this cluster fuck will look like in person.

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 pm

mrchiff wrote:
hotmess wrote:
I will multi-quote this for eternity
A little introspection may be needed here.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

waynerd

Post by waynerd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:59 am

Colonel Monk wrote:
Don't come near Gerlach before dark on Sunday. Though they have been playing with the gate time the past two years, if they say 12:01 on Monday then that's it. Gerlach is small and affected by the loitering. If you try to line up at the gate, some have been banished to D-Lot where they keep you till everyone else in the initial surge has entered the city.

If they do decided to publish the earlier time, then that is the time to line up - just suffice it to say, if you don't have an early entry pass don't come around until it's time to rock.

Flying solo to Bman is awesome. Many people here are worried about not being able to come with their friends - people are super friendly, sometimes it's even better to be with people you don't know because then nobody's watching and you can sorta let the city's conciousness take over...

CM
Thanks Monk, I didn't know anything about the early entry passes etc. Now that I know I'll take my time and arrive with the masses. That's exactly the answer I needed. :)
Looking forward to meeting everyone on the playa, a fresh new sponge ready to absorb all that is TTITD.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

waynerd wrote:Thanks Monk, I didn't know anything about the early entry passes etc. Now that I know I'll take my time and arrive with the masses. That's exactly the answer I needed. :)
Looking forward to meeting everyone on the playa, a fresh new sponge ready to absorb all that is TTITD.
If you have something to sleep in, by all means come to Reno early. All around town it's like a mini-burn with all the Burners gathering. Sunday evening at the walmart parking lots is special, as everyone gets last minute items and is gathered to leave for the playa. After midnight is a real eye opener for the staff at all night stores...
Dress appropriately off-playa people...
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm

There is 3 reno wal marts. What one is usally the "hub"?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

monte

Post by monte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm

socks wrote:They sold me on this idea we were building a community once a year for a week,Nowhere else on earth can you find such a thing.I believed.That was floating world.This was going to be my 10 burn and my still be.But no thanks to BM.org.They fucked this up but their goals were met.The got the sales of 40,000 tickets in one day.Now that's a pay day going into a interest bearing account.Do they care what damage they did to the community?But i judge action much more than words.With the march sale called off to give the tickets to the "special people" of burning man just is not right.Then BM.org dealt out more pain to the burner community with the 1 ticket rule on Step.Who in hell is thinking this shit up.You start off splitting the community and now you are going after families too.

The burn this year will be different.I am sure of that.Just like New Orleans after Katrina the soul of the city has changed without the same people.It was the secret sauce.A lot of burner's who have pulled this wagon for years will not be going because of this.Bm.org is more worried about the newbies than the people that brought them to this point.That is the sad part.If i sound bitter and angry its because i am.I hope all have a good time but a little part of me is wishing for 65 mile winds and white outs for 5 days just for Karma.I hope to see you all on the playa
Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich? you be the judge

waynerd

Post by waynerd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Canoe wrote:
waynerd wrote:Thanks Monk, I didn't know anything about the early entry passes etc. Now that I know I'll take my time and arrive with the masses. That's exactly the answer I needed. :)
If you have something to sleep in, by all means come to Reno early. All around town it's like a mini-burn with all the Burners gathering. Sunday evening at the walmart parking lots is special, as everyone gets last minute items and is gathered to leave for the playa. After midnight is a real eye opener for the staff at all night stores...
Dress appropriately off-playa people...
Haha, the Walmarts, Oh how I know the Walmarts. While on my road trips there was plenty nights spent in the Wally World parking lots, curled up in my sleeping bag in the back of my SUV. Handy in the morning when you drearily stumble in amongst the shoppers to have a piss, brush your teeth, grab a juice and some fresh fruit then off to the next adventure. Yup, know them well. :)

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:04 pm

monte wrote:Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich? you be the judge
Well, that was just your second post, so I think name calling may be out of line for you!
There is frustration out there, and socks is expressing their opinion on this situation.
I am hopeful that things all get worked out and most if not all people get tickets and get to go this year, but until that happens, the frustration will be understandable.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 pm

youve likely never seen a walmart like the one in reno before the burn.

its a mad house.

at capacity.

shelves empty of various things..

ATM's empty of cash

insane.
Don't link to anything here!

waynerd

Post by waynerd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

lemur wrote:youve likely never seen a walmart like the one in reno before the burn.

its a mad house.

at capacity.

shelves empty of various things..

ATM's empty of cash

insane.
AWESOME!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

it's like a xmas walmart...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

International Incident
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:There is 3 reno wal marts. What one is usally the "hub"?

GOLD! I’d never of thought of a Walmart ever being a hub... now each time I see them (and for me that’s for a couple of weeks a year) I will be thinking “now which one of these is the hub - where are cool people hanging out”.

But apologies that I cannot answer your qu TG

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:21 pm

kind of depends on which direction you are coming in from. From the east (I80) you wouldn't even really need to go into Reno as there are walmarts in fallon and then fernley. Coming from the west (I80) use the 7th st one. Flying in? You would probably use the one on kietzke lane...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Amtrak. So yeah I would assume that who ever I am riding with would come get me from amtrak?

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 pm

okay so you'll be getting off in downtown reno. I personally would go to the 7th st walmart. But there are other stores that stock for burners in the area. When it gets closer to the event, we'll talk more and I may be able to help you out more, because we are both going to be there.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I just found out that reno has a winco! SCORE! I love that place. I used to shop there when I lived in Oregon. I think that is where I will be going for food. They are dirt cheap and have a ton of stuff you can buy in bulk by the pound out of drums. SWOON!

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Mosquitopilate » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm

When we get the emails to register for STEP can we use a Iphone or Ipad? Cause there will be a shot we will not be home when email arrives
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - [email protected] Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Please stay on topic, folks. We've got other places to talk about preparation/rideshare stuff. Thanks

LanceThruster

Post by LanceThruster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

I just wandered back in because of the ticket discussions and need to be brought up to date. What should I do to purchase for 2012 or are those gone? Secondly, if there are suggestions being made for equitable ticket distribution, one idea I would like to throw into the pot is a "buy one give one program." That is, if I buy a full price (whatever that is) ticket for myself, and would be willing to by one or more low-income tickets to be given (or sold by BM) to low-income ticket requestors, maybe that would be a fair way to move me up the priority chain (and also possibly discourage scaplers?). I don't know...just a thought.

You could also do the buy one, give one (the give one's being full price too) with the "given" one being given to the burning man people to sell/distribute as they see fit. I don't think it goes against the 10 principles because the BM org gives and gives and tries like hell to make things as fair as possible to all parties, but they shoulder a substantial financial burden that the "double" sale of the ticket could help alleviate.
"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."
— Mark Vonnegut

quadraspleen
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Post by quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 am

Jesus Christ people. What a load of codswallop has been written here (not that quote just below - that's good shit, right there from Col. Monk - I salute you, Sir!)
Colonel Monk wrote: I don't know, my first year was in 2007, some very nasty storms that year, I managed to not die and even have some fun during the storms. The truth is, it ain't
THAT hard out there, even in dust storms.
That, right there from Col. Monk, folks is the rub AFAIAC.

I've kept schtumm so far and just read and re-read all of this stuff. I'm not a "birgin/en" (what a ridiculous term; you've alreasdy violated one of the ten principles right there) this will be my third burn, with the same camp (all 12 of us are from the UK bar three of us who are from SF) Most of my crew are many-time burners, who also make it the high/focal point of their year, as do I. We don't all have tix, but we're all going to get in because we are going to make it a mission to do so.

I cannot believe some of the self-rightous bullshit that some ppl are spouting here.

No mofo has _any_ claim to the burn as "their" event. It _is_ the most awesome gathering I/we in our camp have ever been to, and a couple of us used to go to Stonehenge free festival in the UK back in the 80's, which, bar the location, was about the closest I've yet come to anything like the burn. There was "super-elitism" there, too..it's in the nature of humans (just like having a scrap and throwing their toys out of the pram when they don't get what they want)..it's unattractive, sure, but please don't be suprised..We've all done it..we are doing it ourselves when we talk about "burgins" and OUR tickets have gone to "undeserving" people who "will turn up on Wednesday and just mess up/stare/set themselves on fire/go naked/look at other ppl going naked (why is it always wrinklies?)/drop moop/take pictures/point at people/etc ad infinitum.

What a load of B O L L O C K S.

What gets me here (from some corners) is the sense of entitlement. Who the fuck do some of you people think you are? Some of you really should know better, too..

You have no claim to the burn or entry to it. It is a limited ticket event. There will always be ppl left staring in; again, it's in the nature of that kind of system. Sure, the BMORG have fucked up with the tix. We all knew they would, heck, I bet privately, even a couple of them knew they would. But they, like you and I, are HUMAN. Just like the "birgins" (how many ways are there to spell that word, anyway?)

Who the fuck are _any of us_ to lay claim to being in some way "better prepared/able to deal with the Burn"? It's a fucking desert folks. It respects no-one. Not even a twenty-time burner. Sure, they may know how to deal with the desert a bit better, but that's the idea isn't it? If, as a newb, you turn up and make an arse of yourself, ppl will (should) gently put you on the right track and you'll be fine. That's ALSO a key part of BM afaiac

Please stop it with all the I hope there is a HUGE DUST STORM and all the newbies get fucked up and have to leave by thursday morning, or, my fave so far, maybe there'll be a HUGER DUST STORM at EXODUS...Oh my god; we really are all going to die!!
I/we all know what you're trying to say ppl, and if you feel you really have to keep saying it (although at this point, I'm not really sure qui bono) then, as with the rest of my atitude toward the burn; whatever you want to do people..But it's a little boring now..I'm sure quite a few of the newbs that have taken the time to get onto ePlaya will feel suitably chastened and ready for a shit time, but that's not really the idea, is it?

Come on people - this is supposed to be FUN isn't it?

Flame away friends, and I'll see you in the dust..the man burns in
6 months,
14 days,
18 hours,
8 minutes and
25 seconds

well, about 15 now

jake out - peace
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...

quadraspleen
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Corner of Shady & Wrong

Post by quadraspleen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:46 am

And while i'm at it (just woke up - raring to go now)

All this talk of xx% "burgins". Actually, I think that's horseshit. Look at what happened: It is known that a lot of "real" burners gamed the system. Jesus, I gamed the system, as there are fourteen of us going, and we knew lots of us wouldn't get tix. I didn't get a ticket. Oh dear. I feel sorry for myself now :cry:

A lot of the burners I know used friends/family/proxies to register for tix, and of those who are now carrying, their mums are also holding; their sisters are also holding, jesus, I bet even a few pets are holding right now (yes, I knw there aren't "real" tix yet - go with me ppl)

I reckon, having done some very long and complicated division (on a napkin), that at least 40% of tix sold are not, as we seem to think, being held by newbies, but by burners mates and families. Well, they're not going to go are they? What will Skypainter Moonbeam (apologies if this is your Playa/real name 8) ) do with all of his/her four extra tix? She will: (probably in this order)

1. See if any of her mates need a ticket
2. See if STEP (bad name - sounds like a drug program - what's that? It is? oh, ok) wants those tickets
3. Sell them outside of STEP
4. Sell them nearer the time (either for face value or not - it is what it is folks and no amount of handwringing and introspection will fix it now)

Whatever - I simply refuse to believe that there will be 20000/30000 ppl there who have never been to the Burn before. And if I'm wrong (it has been known to happen) well, so it is..Let the chips fall where they may..surely that's Burning Man?

I sort of agree and disagree with the 10000 "directed tickets" I can see why it has been done, even if I think that 5000 would probably have done it; there ARE enough ppl to take up the slack. But: it is what it is. Deal with it.

But, and it's a big BUTdon't forget folks: It's only Burning Man (/me runs for cover) - Nobody died (this year yet :roll: ) nobody got hurt..Again, It is what it is, and that is exactly how it will stay...if I/you/us/we don't get to go this year, there we go..I'll go next year, and take the advice of a sage person on the board (sorry, can't remember your nick) and go on a fucking way cool road-trip up through Oregon and see some more seriously amazing shit in that oh-so-amazing country you guys have over there

POSITIVITY PLEASE - IT WORKS

For the record, I also think that BLM will cough up another few thousand perms and the BORG can print out a few more tix and this will all seem like a big storm in a teacup in ten months time

jake out
I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed

Enough is too little...Too much is enough...

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:04 am

quadraspleen, I tend to agree with you as to where the tickets are. In fact, as I read your post again, you seem to make a lot of sense. What will happen to the tickets once they are delivered to aunt Muriel? That is now the mystery!

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”